May’s Skater of the Month
1. How long have you been playing?
- 5 years
2. Why Roller Derby?
- It just seemed like the perfect sport for me. The people, the fun, the aggression… it all drew me in.
3. Worst Derby related injury?
- I’ve been incredibly lucky (knock on wood) and so far have only had a bone bruise on my knee. Was pretty painful for a couple months, but I’ll take it compared to the other possibilities.
4. What is your favorite position to play and why?
- I will always love jamming. It’s a great adrenaline rush, trying to escape people and out-maneuver them.
5. What has playing derby taught you about yourself?
- It’s taught me that I’m quite durable, and that I’m physically capable of a lot more than I ever thought. It’s boosted my confidence overall.
6. What is the most rewarding part of being a member of YCDD?
- The family of misfit toys that we’ve formed.
7. What do you enjoy doing in your off time?
- Going on little adventures with friends and family, or relaxing on the couch with my pets.
8. If you could be any animal, what would you be and why?
- A raven. They’re the most intelligent bird, they’re beautiful, and flying would be great.
9. If you were stranded on a desert island, what three items would you bring with you?
- A knife, a water purifying kit to make salt water drinkable, and a flint stone… because survival. I’m practical.
10. If you had to eat one food for the rest of your life what would it be?
- Goulash. I really love carbs.