April’s Skater of the Month
1. How long have you been playing?
2. Why Roller Derby?
I’ve been skating since I was a kid, and when I started I desperately needed something for myself.
3. Worst Derby related injury?
A broken elbow and a myriad of concussions.
4. What is your favorite position to play and why?
Well, blocking, but specifically I love blocking in tandem…it’s a fluid dance that incorporates so many skills. The feeling of smoothly guiding, catching, & rotating..ugh…beautiful.
5. What has playing derby taught you about yourself?
Honestly, over the span of almost a decade…almost everything. It allowed me to embrace myself, it gave me relief during hard times, it helped create and develop strength I didn’t know existed or knew how to channel.
6. What is the most rewarding part of being a member of YCDD?
That family though. Most of my closest friends are my teammates.
7. What do you enjoy doing in your off time?
– Snuggling with my fiancé (who I met because of derby)while we watch our shows and eat snacks haha.
– Spending time with our amazing family of 5.
8. If you could be any animal, what would you be and why?
A platypus. Adorable and so, so weird.
9. If you were stranded on a desert island, what three items would you bring with you?
Will & the kids (they count as one thing, fight me), a book that changes into other books when I’m done reading it, and a magical receptacle that makes food appear. (You never said they had to be “practical” items )
10. If you had to eat one food for the rest of your life what would it be?