Skater of the Month
1. How long have you been playing?
2 years and it has flown by!
2. Why Roller Derby?
I first heard about roller derby from my friend Maggie (Slamentine) when we worked together. I remember she was picking out skates on her break and they were so interesting. She started telling me about roller derby and said I should try it. I never saw myself as tough and I didn’t know how to skate so I chickened out. After a few years, I finally decided to overcome my fears and give it a try. I’m so glad I did!
3. Worst Derby related injury?
4. What is your favorite position to play and why?
I love blocking, especially tandem blocking! It’s a great feeling to hit a jammer out of bounds with 2 blockers covering the track.
5. What has playing derby taught you about yourself?
Derby has helped me become more confident and has been a great stress relief. It has taught me that I can do things that seem impossible because I’m stronger than I think I am.
6. What is the most rewarding part of being a member of YCDD?
Being part of a team! Love my tribe
7. What do you enjoy doing in your off time?
Watching movies, listening to comedy podcasts. Right now I’m dreaming of reading a book by the ocean.
8. If you could be any animal, what would you be and why?
I would be my cat, Poppi, because she lives the most pampered life and has the biggest attitude
9. If you were stranded on a desert island, what three items would you bring with you?
I have thought about this a lot, as a big fan of Lost. If I was able to plan for this desert island trip, I would be practical. I would bring an axe, a massive roll of duct tape, and a guitar.
10. If you had to eat one food for the rest of your life what would it be?